The mother lode

on Saturday, December 24, 2011
My first POS looting was around 6 months ago, when I was leading Rapture. While exploring, I discovered a class 5 wormhole with a control tower that had several arrays and defenses. Not unusual. What was unusual was the lack of a force field. I brought in my crew and we torched it and stole what we could. We made off with around 5b ISK of loot.

That was nothing compared to what happened a few weeks ago. Again, while exploring, I discovered an inhabited system. This system had 3 control towers, and many ships floating. My dscan was filled with results. For some reason I spent several minutes studying it and realized that, despite all of the ships and arrays, there were no force fields.


I called in the Purgatory crew and we looked around the system. We found all three control towers and, sure enough, not a single force field. This being EVE, I first thought that it was perhaps some incredibly sophisticated trap. To test that theory, I ordered one of our orca pilots to steal a floating orca to see what would happen. He sat in it, scooped up his covops in its SMA, and took off back to our wormhole scott-free. My crew then went on a looting spree and for the next 4 hours we moved 116 ships back to Purgatory. As the wormhole was a pulsar, most of the ships were shield-tanked. There were 14 Tengus in addition to dozens of other faction and T2 ships, including expensive battleships like Rattlesnakes, Machariels, and a Nightmare. I was the only Tengu pilot on and spent the better part of 2 hours hauling stolen Tengus back to Purgatory.

The Purgatory crew in full pillage mode. Most of the
ships floating belong to the Europeans. I'm in the center
in a stolen Tengu.
After we snatched up the most valuable ships, we turned our attention to the arrays. There were several labs in addition to the CHAs and many SMAs. We smoked them all (with stolen ships, no less) and found 5 capital ships. One of my dread pilots self-destructed a Naglfar for a 500m insurance payout, and we asploded the rest, except for a sweet, faction-fit Nidhoggur that one of my crew could pilot. We loaded up some haulers with the contents of the CHAs, which included hundreds of drones, thousands of units of faction ammo, and other assorted mods and loot.

As we were finishing up, the corp in question (which is European) started logging on and discovered what was going on. Not wanting them to close the already weary pipe out and trap my crew, I ordered all pilots out and had the Nid pilot close the exit with his brand-new carrier. Since it was quite late, we all logged and I spent a few hours the next day taking a full inventory of our treasure. Of the 116 ships we stole, we only kept around 20, and we sold the rest for quite a bit of iskies. All told, we brought in nearly 50b. Of the events leading up to the pillaging, my crew theorized that there had been a thief in the corp, and he had the roles to take down bubbles. He then dropped the bubbles on all three control towers simultaneously. His plans after that remain a mystery to us, because until the Europeans started logging on, we did not see a soul in that WH, and it did not appear that anything had been stolen before we arrived. It's possible that the thief was in the middle of his treachery when my crew entered the system, and working alone, he fled. Or, it was simply a malcontent and he had no intention of stealing anything, but wanted the corp to suffer. The only remaining theory is that all three CTs were on the exact same fuel schedule and someone triple-derped the refuel. At any rate, it was a huge stroke of luck that my crew discovered the bonanza before anyone else did.

1 comments:

HVArq said...

We are all waiting for January 24th when the POS fuel change to fuel blocks :) You never know what could you find in the next c1!

We will be there!

Post a Comment